Taking care of your roof is an important responsibility when it comes to being a homeowner. In order to keep your roof well maintained, you will periodically need to inspect it and check for damages and other issues. There are several steps you should remember to take when inspecting your roof in order to stay on top of any problems. Being aware of small issues and fixing them sooner, rather than later, will help you save money in the long run.
It is a good idea to perform a roof inspection after every major storm or rainfall, especially if you live in an area that experiences these types of weather conditions often. If you live in a milder climate, you will still want to examine your roof closely every season or every few months to make sure no other problems are present.
While doing an inspection of the exterior of your roof, you will want to take note of a few things:
- Check to see if the shingles are still in good shape. Usually, any shingle damage will be fairly obvious. You may notice missing shingles or shingles that have been partially broken.
- Make sure to keep your gutters clear and free of debris. Any clogs that lead to flooding in your gutters can cause damage to your roof. Any pooling water in or around your gutters will inevitably wear down your shingles or cause roof sagging and cracking.
- Check the roof flashing, vents, and other exterior parts for any signs of damage.
To perform a thorough roof inspection, you will also want to check the interior of your home. While checking the inside of your home, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Look for signs of water damage along the walls and on the ceilings in your home. You may notice sinking in the ceiling, a water stain or spots on the ceiling or walls, or water drips coming into your home.
- Check for any collapses in your home’s ceiling. If you have an attic space, you may also want to inspect the beams and structures up there for any damages.
Keep a Record
Once you have inspected both the exterior and interior components of your roof, be sure to keep a record of any problems you notice, exactly where the issue is occurring, and any remedies you may have tried in order to alleviate the problem. Having a detailed record of your roofing maintenance history will come in handy. If and when the time comes that you need to call in an expert roofer to help you, you will know roughly when any problems started and will be able to readily recall any solutions you have already tried.
Hire an Expert
Do not shy away from hiring a professional roofer at any stage of your roof inspection. Minor leaks, missing shingles, and other seemingly small problems can actually lead to bigger and more expensive issues if not taken care of immediately. It is important to work with a professional roofer if you are concerned about any problems you may have observed with your roof. Hire an expert in your area to help you repair any damages.
Looking for a Roofer in the Portland-Metro Area?
Evergreen Renovations & Roofing, Inc. is the number one professional roofing company in the Portland-Metro area. We offer all kinds of roofing and home renovation services in order to help you feel right at home, all year round!
Receive Professional Help with Roofing Inspections!
Need our help when it comes to identifying problems with your roof? No problem! Evergreen Renovations & Roofing, Inc. has expert roofers available with years of experience to help our customers solve roofing problems both big and small. Whatever issues you are facing with your roof, we guarantee affordable and long-lasting solutions. We look forward to working with you and your family soon!