Deciding Between Repainting or Adding New Vinyl Siding to Your Home
When the painted exterior of one’s home starts to look worn and faded, repainting your home may not always be the best decision. Why is that you may ask? It’s because with the improved quality of vinyl siding these days, it makes switching over to vinyl siding instead of repainting a tempting proposition. So how do you make the decision whether to install vinyl siding or repaint? We feel it helps to compare the pros and cons of both and that’s exactly what we will do in this article.
Vinyl Siding Versus Repainting: Pros and Cons
Here is what we feel are the main pros and cons to be considered when deciding between repainting and putting new vinyl siding on your home.
- On the average painting will most likely be slightly less expensive. That can be up to half of the cost of adding vinyl siding or more in some cases.
- Without a doubt, you have far more color choices when it comes to repainting your home.
- Home repainting has to be redone every 4 – 7 years depending on the quality of the paint you use.
- Repainting requires a large amount of prep work. This includes sanding, stripping, pressure washing and more.
New Vinyl Siding
- Siding is a very durable material that should last 20 years or more.
- Insulated vinyl siding will pay for some of its cost over time with energy savings.
- Other than an occasional washing, vinyl siding is virtually maintenance free.
- It’s more expensive than painting in most cases
- Color selection is just adequate
- It’s hard to give your home a more classic look if you add vinyl siding to it.
Some Other Important Factors to Consider
When you compare everything above it seems that going with vinyl siding may be a better choice than repainting your home. Of course, there are other factors to consider too. These would be things like how long you plan to stay in your home and what are your current budget restraints. So figure as much as you can into your decision before you finally choose to paint or put new siding on your home.
How to Proceed Once You Have Made Your Decision
Ok, so now you have thought about it carefully, made your decision and are wondering about how to proceed trying to make your home’s exterior look better. Keep in mind that adding new vinyl siding and repainting a home are jobs best left to the professionals. This is for safety reasons and to help your home look its best when the project is finished.
Fortunately, there are many painting professionals and home renovations contractors in most places that can do these jobs. Companies such as Evergreen Renovations & Roofing out of Beaverton, Oregon will usually even inspect your home’s exterior and give you an estimate at no charge. Choose carefully the company to do the work and don’t always pick the lowest price because you may not get the best quality work done.